Acentech invites you to listen to your space and evaluate its acoustical design before it is constructed, using our acoustics simulation and rendering technology called 3DListening® (3DL). 3DL can play an important role in the design process, helping to develop designs, shape key spaces, and give a project team’s designers, building owners, and users the opportunity to listen together and quickly reach decisions about acoustically significant design features such as:
- Material choices: What acoustical finish materials are needed in your atrium, gym, or band room?
- Loudspeaker systems: Will the public announcement system be intelligible in your auditorium, train station, or exhibit hall?
- Sound isolation: Which floor-to-ceiling construction will ensure that residents are sufficiently undisturbed in your condo building?
- Mechanical noise: How will noise from new fan coil units affect classroom learning conditions? How much will a rooftop noise barrier benefit neighbors?
Building on decades of research and supported by robust engineering, 3DL is an immersive three-dimensional acoustics simulation and rendering that can demonstrate the effects of acoustical designs for a space that is yet to be built. At Acentech, our 3DL auralizations are highly interactive: anyone visiting our listening lab can control the system with the click of a mouse, instantly comparing design alternatives or simulation scenarios within one simple presentation and without waiting. Acentech’s 3DL simulations are both accurate and believable, so you can forget about the technology and simply listen to your space in a typical use scenario.
3DListening® is an immersive, interactive listening experience to aid design, team communication, and decision-making on acoustically relevant aspects of design. Software tools used to create these sound simulations may include:
- 3-dimensional building design software including Revit, Rhino, and SketchUp
- Acentech’s software tools, developed in Matlab and Max/MSP, for ambisonic impulse response measurement
- Room acoustics modeling with CATT-Acoustic, Pachyderm, and experimental tools
- Audio editing software including Reaper and Audacity
- Signal processing using Matlab and Max/MSP programming environments
- Max/MSP programming environment for presentation and real-time convolution
Presentations occur in our 3DListening® studio through a many-loudspeaker array, rendered in ambisonics, vector-based amplitude panning, or a hybrid. They can also occur remotely using an online conferencing platform, rendered binaurally using specially selected headsets.
Listen to how Acentech has used 3DL simulations for museums, business schools, performing arts centers, swimming pools, university libraries, corporate headquarters, and research projects, to name just a few.
Come experience one for yourself, or contact us to learn more.