We receive a lot of calls these days from unhappy homeowners and office tenants, struggling to coexist alongside a fitness center within their building. Jarring noise…
“I came to work at Acentech after 15 years of acoustics consulting in Chicago and 13 years in the chemical and process industries before that. Having worked both in cement plants and concert halls, I can assure you that concert halls are better. What I most enjoy about this profession is the opportunity to help improve the environment in which young people make music.”
Terry Tyson is a Principal acoustician with over 25 years of consulting experience in architectural acoustics, mechanical systems noise and vibration control, and environmental noise control. He collaborates with mechanical and electrical engineers on the control of noise from HVAC and other systems in sound critical facilities such as concert halls, performing arts centers, and recording studios. His experience includes facilities ranging from performing arts centers and music conservatories, to classrooms, lecture halls, healthcare facilities, high-rise residential and corporate office buildings. He has performed peer reviews of architectural acoustical designs, and served as an expert witness for community noise dispute resolution and legal proceedings for new real estate developments.
Outside of work, I play in a rock & roll band. It’s fun to see photos of gigs where we’re jamming and having fun. The man I most look up to? Without a doubt – my late father who served in the Eighth Armored Division in Europe during WWII.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Illinois
- Institute of Noise Control Engineering (INCE), Board Certified
- INCE Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), Technical Committee 2.6, Sound and Vibration Control
- Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums (MAAM), Member
- University of Illinois School of Architecture, Guest Lecturer
- American Institute of Architects, AIA Philadelphia, Professional Allied Member
- The Pennsylvania State University, Master of Engineering, Acoustics
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Graduate Studies in Mechanical Engineering
- University of Illinois, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering