This article originally appeared in Xconomy Boston. View the article on Xconomy’s website here. Architects are starting to embrace virtual reality as a tool for showing clients what…
“My passion for acoustics is a natural outgrowth of my long career in sound recording and mastering. Acoustical consulting at Acentech allows me to apply my intimate knowledge of sound to a wide variety of challenging and interesting projects.”
With degrees in sound recording technology and architectural sciences, Matt Azevedo brings the best of both worlds to his role as an acoustics consultant at Acentech.
Leveraging his extensive experience as a musician and audio/mastering engineer, Matt developed Acentech’s 3DListening software platform that the firm uses in its project work. 3DListening is a sound simulation technology that uses computer modeling to design and listen to the acoustics of a space before it is built.
Matt’s consulting projects focus on architectural acoustics, sound isolation, and mechanical system noise control for a variety of project types, including media production studios, performance spaces, academic spaces, government and public facilities, and residential and corporate environments.
SOUND AND MUSIC
Outside the office, I am an active performer with a composition and performance practice based on custom-designed analog synthesizers and loudspeaker arrays. My most recent LP, Aokigahara, was released on Type Recordings in 2015.
My favorite quote says a lot about me: “Maximum volume yields maximum results.” – Steven O’Malley of Sunn O)))
- Co-author of “Acoustical archaeology – Recreating the soundscape of John Donne’s 1622 Gunpowder Plot sermon at Paul’s Cross,” presented at the Proc. of the 21st International Congress on Acoustics, 2013
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Master of Science in Architectural Sciences
- University of Massachusetts, Lowell, Bachelor of Music in Sound Recording Technology
RISD Spatial Audio Studio
Deerfield Academy — Hess Center for the Arts
K-12 Schools, Studio A: Performing Arts
Financial Services Company Next Generation Reception Center
Corporate / Commercial
Cary Memorial Hall
Cultural & Civic, Studio A: Performing Arts
Residential & Mixed-Use
Corporate / Commercial
Through research and exploration:
- Deepen understanding of acoustics and related disciplines.
- Promote interaction between design(ers) and community.
- Nurture and attract curious minds.