Since its foundation in 1795, the Congregation Rodeph Shalom has held services throughout many locations within the “Olde City Philadelphia”. In the year of 1847, over fifty years later, the congregation sought and found a permanent home in a former church located on Juliana Street. For more than 80 years their new found synagogue proved to be a beloved and holy place of worship for members of the congregation. It wasn’t until 1928 when Rabbi Wolsely directed the construction of a new building that the congregation once again relocated. The newly constructed synagogue now sits at 615 North Broad Street, Philadelphia and is also home to the Philadelphia Museum of Jewish Art.
Acentech studied the acoustical value of the synagogue and determined the sound system and room dimensions were causing numerous echos that reduced intelligibility of the sound system over large areas of the space. Acentech worked with the synagogue to create an audiovisual system that would reduce the unwanted reflected sounds, increase speech and amplified music intelligibility, and provide flexibility for a wide range of uses; the result of which is the system that now powers Rodeph’s sermons and functions alike. Acentech also recommended upgrades and installation of a very large steerable digital speaker array system, mixing console, audio DSP. Because of the proud historic nature of the building, it was mandatory that the newly installed sound systems disappeared into the architecture.